We are in the process of deciding which tool to use for e-Portfolios. Blackboard has an e-Portfolio tool in its new Content system. I believe that it would provide the following unique benefits:
1) Existing platform that is used in over 80% of courses.
2) Students submitting work in classes could store that work on the Virtual Hard Drive and use it in their portfolio.
The negative aspects include:
1) The tool has just been released and is lacking in reporting features
2) The commenting feature is limited to the overall portfolio. An observer can’t include comments by individual artifacts.
3) The cost – It will double our investment in Blackboard.
Open Source Portfolio Initiative
Another option would be to go with an open source solution. We need to do some more checking on this option.